kenta's diet tips
- Drink a lot of water. A general trick to find out how much water you should be drinking daily is to divide your weight in pounds by 2. That number is how many fluid ounces you should be drinking! For example, if you weigh 200lbs, you should be drinking 100 fl oz (almost a gallon).
- Avoid high amounts of sugar. Not only is sugar high in calories, but the more you intake, the less your body will burn fat. Especially avoid sugary drinks and processed desserts! Even diet sodas can lead to increased fat storage.
- Avoid processed carbs and bleached flours. I know this one can be tough for many people, but your body processes foods like white breads, pastries, and potatoes straight into sugar, which can then be stored as fat! Keep your carbs to less than half of your daily food intake and make sure they're coming from good sources such as whole grains, oats, quinoa, and beans.
- Eat a lot of vegetables. I know you've probably heard this since you were a kid, but it's true! Veggies are a great source of vitamins and are full of fiber which keep you full and increase your metabolism. Think of colorful veggies like broccoli, asparagus, celery, eggplant, carrots, or sweet potatoes.
- Eat enough protein. Your protein intake should be about 20-35% of your daily intake, and come from many different sources. If you eat meat, aim for lower fat meats like chicken, turkey and fish. Vegetarians can focus on beans, nuts, and eggs. If you have trouble not consuming enough protein you can also consider low calorie protein shakes.
- Don't eat heavy meals or sugary foods 2-3 hours before bed. Your body digests food faster when you're standing, so if you eat a heavy meal and then lie down, it will be metabolized slower and can potentially store more calories as fat. Try to avoid eating heavy meals or foods high in sugar 2-3 hours before you lie down.
- Drink green tea. Green tea contains caffeine which can increase energy, as well as the antioxidant EGCG, which can enhance fat burning! It's recommended to drink 1-3 glasses per day.
Feeling bloated? Try my morning detox tea!
Sometimes due to many different factors your body or digestive system can become inflamed & make you look & feel bloated. This detox tea can help decrease inflammation and increase your metabolism!
First thing in the morning, put some shaved ginger and lemons in water and either boil it (ideally) or put it in the microwave (if you don't have much time). Let it steep for about 5-10 minutes and drink slowly.
If you prefer it slightly sweet you can add a little bit of honey or agave, and if you like an extra kick you can add some cayenne pepper which can also increase your metabolism.
Make sure you wait at least 30 minutes after drinking this before you eat any food! You can also make a whole pitcher of it one day and keep it in your refrigerator, and heat up a mug of it every morning to save time.